Total Pageviews

Sunday 16 October 2022

Top 10 Halloween Films (Michael Myers series)

Alright I have been patient and held off making a top 10 Halloween franchise list until I have seen Halloween Ends. Well that time is up and my review of Halloween Ends is out. Also, my whole take on the entire Halloween series is also out on my blog. Be sure to check those out for more in depth looks and thoughts on those films and the series as a whole from my point of view. 
I am a massive fan of this series and I love the Michael Myers character. In terms of how I will be ranking these, well I will be sorting them in order of one's I love best and which I felt had the best story, soundtrack etc. So no more delay, let's get to the killing.....I MEAN.....ranking....

10: H5
OK look this one sucks BUT I got to have a top 10 list as I could not just simply leave this list on a Top 8 Halloween films. To me H5, H6, Resurrection, Rob Zombie H2 and Ends are bad films of the series. There are bad films in the series, but I still have something I like about each one and for me in Halloween 5, what I like most is Loomis and Michael's interactions. I also like the scene where Jamie goes down the clothes shoot, and it's a bit tense for how she can escape that one.

9: H6
Again another bad one of the bunch BUT I will applaud them for trying to make sense why Michael can't die, and it's all some ritual and cult stuff even if I find the whole cult explanation in films to be cheap and overdone, it's something that prior to H20 and above that kinda fit. The off-screen kill of Loomis was not good and in the producer's cut they made Loomis the new leader of the cult of Thorn.

8: RZ's Halloween 1
And breathe this is where THE REAL LIST begins! Rob Zombie's first take with Halloween was great, it was different, it offered us a fresh new telling of the story we all knew but added more elements and backgrounds to Michaels character for sure, and it took his character to the realm of gritty almost factual take on what made him the monster he is and how his abusive home life background helped push him to be the killer we know today but not just that but all the bullies he had in his life and of course the kid was demented seeing as he was killing animals but hey, this was a good take. Rob Zombie did good, and the kills were brutal, and they actually made you feel the impact of them.

7: Halloween 4
Alright look, this and Halloween 2 (1981) both have better ends to Michael and a passing of the torch than Halloween Ends. It's a massive shame they killed Laurie off-screen for this film, and we got brought her daughter to carry on the whole family ties story with Michael. Loomis is one of my fave characters in the Halloween franchise, and he delivers a great performance here especially with its twist ending.

6: H20
Happy 20th Birthday to you, Michael Myers comes soon, Laurie you're in trouble, Happy 20th To you! Yes H20 is set 20 years after Halloween, and it's a direct sequel to Halloween 2 and all that came after H2 was retconned. Great to see Jamie Lee Curtis back as Laurie and she and Michael had a good reunion. There's little Easter eggs in this film showing other horror slashers too, and I think it's in part thanks to the scream writer who wrote this. The mask in this was terrible. Apparently they went for a CGI mask because they couldn't make up their minds on one? What?! Michael being decapitated should have ended the series at the time.

5: Halloween 3
So this one is an Anthology film and does not contain anything from the Halloween films before it. Michael is not in it besides a 2 seconds cameo as in this one Halloween 1 is just a scary film advertised on TV. This is underrated. Yes it was majorly different and shocking in its time because they departed from Michael of course BUT leave that aside and think of it as its own thing, and you will have a good time.

4: Halloween Kills
Alright so now we are back to a more recent time of Halloween series with the second part of Blumhouse's trilogy of the series. I love this one, it's brutal, and the soundtrack is awesome, it feels so evil and big just like the Shape himself, and it's a great continuation from Halloween 2018 and of course it is fantastic seeing so many of the OG'S here.

3: Halloween 2 (1981)
OK so this one's ending for the series was better again than H4 and Halloween Ends. This one takes place exactly as Halloween 1978 ends and this one sets up the whole family ties story with Laurie being so special to Michael since Laurie is his sister. This is the best sequel in the original timeline.

2: Halloween 2018
Back to top form here with so many originals returning to reprise their roles, and it all works brilliantly. Mask, soundtrack, story, characters, fear, kills well it's perfect, I've talked about this one and the others on this list in more depth and detail over on my other blog post which had me write up about the entire series, so please check it out.

1: Halloween 1978
Of course this is what started it all and deserves to be crowned the best one. Not only did it start this extraordinary franchise, but it also gave birth to the whole slasher genre and outbreak from the 80s onwards. This started so many tropes to the horror genre and will always be the king of them all to me. I cannot big this film up more. Iconic, classic, masterpiece.

Alright that's my list, this will probably be the last post I make on Michael Myers and the whole Halloween franchise until the day comes where Evil comes back home to our screens again with fresh paint of course.

Thanks for reading, see you again soon.
Stay Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment