Total Pageviews

Saturday 27 May 2017

Top 3 Ridley Scott Films!

I posted the other day on facebook that Ridley Scott and I don't have a very good track record. 

Everytime Ridley Scott announces he has a new film people seem to perk up like "Ohh should be good" and I don't get it.... Ridleys has not made a lot of films that I have liked to be honest and it's just my opinion. Ridley has the flashy visual direction with his films but most of the stories in his films have not been good. Took me seeing the new Blade Runner trailer to say this. Nice visuals don't mean a good film. Just like how graphics don't make a good game.

I did put more details in it but due to tiredness, i did get a bit confused and randomly slapped in James Cameron films and mistook them as Ridley films lol. Now it was a mistake and no one really pointed it out (weirdly) but i am sure you see why as both directors have stunning visuals in their movies but not many good stand out stories. 

Yes David in Alien Covenant was great about his last film and yes Alien series is still ongoing and may end up being the best film series but as it stands for me it's: 2 good,2 bad and 2 ok films in the Xeno series.

I said in that same post that i need to go on IMDB and list all the films i have liked by him and so here it is.

Normally i do top 10's but this is how bad my track record is with Ridley. Now i am also not saying Ridley is terrible just to be clear but he is one of my least fave directors and one i find overrated just a bit. As you will see below there are films i like best from him.

3: Gladiator
Maximus vs Commodus is a great rivalry one of the best on screen and this is the best roman and gladiatorial film i believe. It's a lengthy one which does bore me at parts but the final battle pay off is worth it. 8/10

2: The Martian
Funny, smart, dramatic, tense, The Martian is all these really enjoyable film. Ridley Scott handles the planetary and space sequences beautifully, especially an action-packed climax that will have you on the edge of your seat. 9/10

1: Alien
Of course this is number one such an atmospheric space horror movie and a classic in this day and age. The most startling thing watching Alien again is its pacing. For the first 45 minutes, little happens. It's all slow, exquisite build-up, which makes the second half seem all the more horrific. 9/10

You maybe thinking BUT Scott where is Blade Runner? Black Rain? Body Of Lies? American Gangster? Or what ever movie you want. They are not here. Sorry i did not find them good. One's i found good or liked are listed in my top 3. Blade Runner looked great but it was too weird and i could not make sense of it to fully enjoy it. 

I shall now list all films i have seen by Ridley. Blade Runner, Black Rain, Body Of Lies, American Gangster, Alien, The Martian, Gladiator, Hannibal, Legend, Robin Hood, Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Kingdom of Heaven, Black Hawk Down and Exodus: Gods and Kings.

I mentioned James Cameron earlier and so here is my list of my top 3 Cameron films - https://1stmetalgodsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/top-3-james-cameron-films.html

As ever, THANKS FOR READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment