Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 January 2023

Top 10 System Of A Down Songs

How have I not done this yet either?! I swear there are bands I love that I have done a top 10 of, and then I get asked, or I go back and check and there is nothing, and it baffles the hell out of me! Get ready for the most unique songs you have ever heard because If you are new to SOAD you will be like "wtf am I hearing!?" It's funny as fuck, but also it kicks ass! For me, it will be hard to pick my top 10, so I am carefully going through their discography while making this post just so I can pinpoint which 10 songs I would consider my faves or the best. I will try to provide some sort of meaning to the songs also.
System of a Down (also known as SoaD or simply System) is an Armenian-American heavy metal band formed in Glendale, California, in 1994, consisting of Serj Tankian, Daron Malakian, Shavo Odadjian and John Dolmayan.

10: Sugar
This seems like a good one to kick off my list, it's one of my faves and just chaotic as fuck, and I always thought it was about drugs and the effects. Thing is with this song it has a lot of hyper-ness to it but also has the anger, so you could easily take it as a sugar high then getting withdrawals.

9: I-E-A-I-A-I-O
This song is just something else, full of tongue twisters and just traditional drugged up SOAD madness haha, and it's also got that Knight Rider theme song sound in it at one point. 

8: Lonely Day
God-damn, Lonely Day & Soldier Side I had a tough time over debating which one should go on my list BUT I have placed this one here because relevant and powerful, quite an emotional one for me too as it has got me to think about life and my own in general at times and this song can bring my mood down quite a bit, but it's a great track. I feel this song is about depression and being on the edge but then pulling yourself back and being proud that you did not go over said ledge. 

7: Question!
A song pondering what happens when we fly, yes this is about the afterlife. I always found this song to be quite thought-provoking and emotional, and It's always stuck to me. It's been one of my faves for years.

6: ATWA
The chorus I've always felt resonate with me for how much I have been shushed or ignored or rejected in my life. I was surprise to learn this one is about Charles Manson mind you, my friend in school Louis Minett told me it's about Charles Mansons group to rally against pollution, the song was written to shed light on a more positive side to the infamous cult leader. Air, Trees, Water, Animals.

5: Prison Song
This is slap bang in the middle for me because it is one of my faves and I did not want to place it in any other position, I love this one. Toxicity is the first SOAD album I ever owned and played to hell to because it is so fucking good! Obviously politically aimed against the US government and their systems. 

4: Aerials
Is it about aliens or a warning about close mindedness? "When you lose small mind, you'll free your life." Is your answer there haha, but life is indeed a waterfall. God-damn this song is so catchy and beautiful in a way. 

3: B.Y.O.B.
Iconic as fuck and just mesmerizing and truth telling to be fair."B.Y.O.B." originally means "Bring your own Beverage" in party terms, but in this song it is supposed to mean "Bring your own Bombs." And when they say "party" they mean war. This song is not about partying at all, because if you read the lyrics it's obvious. Generally, it is just an anti-war song. Also, it's about how they send the poor into war.

2: Toxicity!
Named from the album it's on, how convenient!? Killer track one of their most iconic also featured in Guitar Hero, and I am pretty sure we all hit harder on the drums for this one haha. For the meaning maybe this is about their Armenian heritage. 

1: Chop Suey!
Pretty sure to a lot of people like myself that this was the first SOAD song they heard and probably know all the lines to and have heard it played so much. Anyway in terms of meaning this could be interpreted in a few ways but the most popular I know is that this is about suicide.

That'll do for my list today, thanks for checking in and checking out!
Stay Shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment