Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 November 2023

My Top 10 Highest Rated Films - 80's Edition

Hello there, So I thought I would do something different and interesting today and for the next few blog posts. I will be covering my top 10 films of different decades. This is written as of 9/11/2023, so I could update in the future but who knows. I have lots of 5 star films in many decades BUT I will limit these posts to 1 per franchise rule.

To make things fun and interesting, I will try to post a random fact about the film which you may not know. We all will know why I will love these films and I don't want to repeat myself saying the same sorta things over and over so random fact would be more fun and interesting, is my thought process.

 I am taking my rankings from the 5 star system of LETTERBOXD. Buckle up for a ride down sunny film lane and this time get your neons on as we go to the 1980's!

ROBOCOP
Peter Weller, who played the titular character, had to endure long hours in the RoboCop suit, which was extremely uncomfortable and caused him to lose three pounds a day from sweating.

PREDATOR
The original design for the Predator's face was quite different from the one in the final film. Jean-Claude Van Damme was initially cast as the Predator, but his design didn't work out, leading to the iconic creature we know today.

GREMLINS
"Gremlins" was originally conceived as a much darker and scarier film. However, it was later developed as a horror-comedy, striking a balance between humour and horror.

SEE NO EVIL, HEAR NO EVIL
"See No Evil, Hear No Evil" is loosely based on the novel "Two for the Seesaw" by William Gibson, but it takes a comedic and farcical approach to the material. 

BILL & TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE
The roles of Bill and Ted were originally offered to other actors, including Pauly Shore and Sean Penn. However, Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter ultimately landed the roles and became synonymous with the characters. The phone booth was originally supposed to be a van, but they opted for a Dr Who nod. 

ROCKY IV
The training montage featuring Sylvester Stallone as Rocky and Dolph Lundgren as Ivan Drago is famous. The sequence was filmed in Wyoming, and Stallone had to be airlifted to a hospital after being punched in the chest by Lundgren to maintain authenticity in the fight scenes.

INDIANA JONES: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
In the famous boulder scene, Harrison Ford outran a real boulder, which was a fibreglass prop. The stunt was extremely dangerous, but it resulted in an iconic film moment.

BEETLEJUICE
The title character, Beetlejuice, was originally envisioned as a winged, reptilian demon. However, the final design for the character was more whimsical and unique.

STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
The big reveal of Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's father was kept a well-guarded secret. Mark Hamill, who played Luke, was only informed of this twist moments before filming the scene to preserve the surprise.

BACK TO THE FUTURE
The original choice to play Marty McFly was Eric Stoltz. He filmed several scenes but was later replaced by Michael J. Fox, leading to the iconic casting that we know today.

All of these films are iconic and classic, and I have seen so many times. Do you love or like any of these films? Comment and let me know and hit me up on letterboxd @Scotty2Jonesy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment