Total Pageviews

Thursday 27 January 2022

Skillet - Dominion Album Review

So the multi-platinum Christian hard rock band are back! WITH A BRAND NEW ALBUM! Full of their signature style and sound but with added layers on this new album I felt. So the foundation of Skillet's musical career has been catchy choruses, female vocals (Jen Ledger) which wrap around and accompany to male vocals (John Cooper) in just the right spots. However this new album's new layers are things I never expected from Skillet and I think this experimentation on this album works well!
Along with Skillet's style now comes some synth, some dubstep like sounds (possibly djent too) and of course some double peddle hard hitting drums and metal guitar solos in some songs and honestly they caught me off guard. Now not every single song is hard hitting Christian rock fest but some are slow down sombre songs which is also still a big part of Skillet's discography. Normally Skillet's messages and songs have had a lot of their inspiration in the songs or the songs be about bleak or dark points but the message here in this album is a more positive note and of hope.

I think this album is John and Jen's best and most unique for their vocals especially John as we see through every song his range and how much he can do. Be it soft spoken tones to aggressive singing to even some sort of tempo rapping, John really shows here he can do whatever he wishes and he can make it work. The band is showing off so many layers and dimensions to themselves here in this album and that's something that's quite a hard challenge to pull off I'd imagine BUT they make it work and IT WORKS SO WELL!!!!

I found Valley Of Death to be one of the most hard hitting beautiful songs I have had the pleasure of hearing and I was driving to work the first time I heard this album in full and my god I became a blubbering mess when I first heard this track!

Ignite the penultimate song should have been the song to end the album with as I feel White Horse is the most unique but also weakest song on this album which is quite a divisive opinion even for me to have and think and to say and now to type and publish for the world. I feel this way as Ignite ends smoothly and White Horse is very out of place I feel but it's unique for it's industrial sound and distortion and then for the up tempo rapping.

My favourite songs: Ignite, Destroyer, Beyond Incredible, Valley Of Death, Dominion, Standing In The Storm, Surviving The Game.

8/10
It's a new album from Skillet which I love and perhaps with more time the album will grow much more on me to rank it a bit higher but after 4 playthrough's of this album, I REALLY ENJOY IT! 

Skillet keep rockin it!
Dear reader, please stay shiny!
See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment